Psalm 34:19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all.
Insight on the Word
So often people tend to emphasis the negative rather than the positive. In this passage we are told many are the afflictions of the righteous. Paul the apostle tells us: “…all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.” (2 Timothy 3:12) So the believer does not deny the afflictions and persecutions of life. But, that is not the end of the story. We are promised that the Lord will deliver us “out of them all!”
God has much to say in His Word regarding how He stands with and delivers us in times of affliction. In Scripture we find that God makes at least twelve promises concerning helping us in times of affliction. We read God will:
- Hear the afflicted (Job 34:28).
- Save them (Psalms 18:27).
- Have mercy on them (Isaiah 49:13).
- Deliver them from fear (Psalms 23:4).
- Deliver out of troubles (Psalms 34:19; 50:15).
- Uphold them (Psalms 37:23-33; 55:22).
- Reward them (Matthew 5:10-12).
- Be a refuge for them (Psalms 9:9-10).
- Remember their weakness (Psalms 103:13).
- Hide them (Psalms 27:5).
- Consider them (Psalms 31:7).
- Give them sufficient grace (2 Corinthians 12:9).
During affliction God’s Word sustains us, empowers us and gives up life! “This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me.” (Psalm 119:50) In hard times don’t forget: “No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper;” (Isaiah 54:17) If afflictions come, the Lord will deliver us “out of them all!”
Speak the Word — The Lord delivers me out of all afflictions! (Psalms 34:19)
Daily Bible Reading — 1 Samuel 4 – 7