1 John 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
Insight on the Word
Born of God! What a wonderful family relationship the believer enjoys. The book of 1 John is filled with understanding concerning our New Birth blessings. Eight blessings of the new birth found in 1 John are:
- Power to do righteousness. (1 John 2:29)
- Actual son-ship. (1John 3:1-3)
- Freedom from sin. (1John 2:9; 5:18)
- Love for the brethren. (1John 4:7-8; 3:14-18; 5:1)
- Love for God. (1John 4:19; 5:1-3)
- Power to keep the New Testament commandments. (1John 5:2-3)
- Power to overcome the world. (1John 5:4-5)
- Freedom from Satan. (1John 5:18)
These blessings of the New Birth allow us to have power to overcome the world, “For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world.” All of these blessings however are only effective as we act on and live out our faith. It is then that the victory is ours, “and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.”
Our faith in God’s life living in us, equips us to be world overcomers! “Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.” (1 John 4:4) The Bible says: “…the worlds were framed by the word of God.” (Hebrews 11:3) And just as God framed the worlds by His Word, we too having faith in that same Word, can frame our world into a life of victory!
Speak the Word — I am born of God, therefore I overcome the world! (1 John 5:4)
Daily Bible Reading — 1 Samuel 21 – 24